Space | Time | Life: a gathering
9 February 2024, 11am – 6pm at Wysing Arts Centre
Join us for a one-day gathering inspired by the LYC Museum and Art Gallery, co-organised by Kettle’s Yard, the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art and Wysing Arts Centre.
About the Event
The one-day gathering takes the LYC Museum & Art Gallery (the LYC, operating between 1972-1983) as inspiration and provocation to think about alternative infrastructures for artistic and creative practice – past, present and future – and what rural space, outside the perceived centre, can offer.
In a set of converted farm buildings that Li Yuan-chia had bought from his friend, the painter Winifred Nicholson, the LYC offered gallery space, a children’s room, a library, performance areas, a printing press, a communal kitchen, and a garden. Taking place across the spaces at Wysing Arts Centre, this event will consist of conversations, workshops and interventions focused around:
· Reimagining the rural
· Creating belonging and community
· Visionary spaces for coexistence
· Legacies of the LYC project
This event is organised in collaboration by Wysing, Kettle’s Yard and the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art to coincide with Making New Worlds: Li Yuan-chia & Friends. It is open to anyone interested in exploring these themes and ideas. The day will involve listening, conversation and participating in workshop activities.
Making New Worlds: Li Yuan-chia & Friends
This group exhibition is based on the pioneering vision of artist Li Yuan-chia (1929 – 1994) and the LYC Museum & Art Gallery which he founded and ran between 1972 and 1983 in the Cumbrian village of Banks, alongside Hadrian’s Wall.
- Transport to and from Cambridge train station can be provided.
- To reserve a space on minibus/taxi ride from Cambridge train station to Wysing (outbound and/or return) please purchase the necessary ‘Bus’ tickets in addition to your ‘Conference Ticket’.
- Further details about exact arrival/departure times to follow.